Powerful Place Value + Freebie

This week has been all about district assessment prep! We came back from a long weekend and BAM...we dove right into place value review!

I don't know about you, but I just loath district assessments. I know I have prepped and taught my kids all the concepts covered, but without fail, the district test always presents the material in a foreign way to my kiddos. The wording is different or the format is not the same. It's always something. I want to scream when this happens! 

I was bound and determined to NOT let this happen to my kiddos again. SO.... this little flip book activity was created! I made the books ahead of time with two sheets of construction paper. Then, I stapled it at the top to secure them.  Hence, the four flaps were created.  
I had each student cut out the flap labels and I modeled where to glue each one, so there was little room for error. 

Next, I asked my students to choose three numbers 0-9 and cut them out. They glued them above the "My Three Numbers" label.

Finally, each student needed to use the three numbers they choice to make the largest three-digit number possible AND the smallest three digit numbers possible.

Here is the BEST part...the kids had to EXPLAIN why their three-digit number was the largest and smallest! This quickly gave me an understanding of who mastered the concepts of place value and who still needed practice before the district test. I was one happy teacher when I saw this writing under the flaps of most of my students! SCORE!

You can grab a copy of this activity by clicking HERE

I hope you can use these in your classroom. If you download them, I would love for you to leave a comment and let me know what you think of them. Thanks so much everyone! 

5 comments :

  1. I love this. It is a quick review and I love that it requires a written explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I also love that they have to explain their thinking. That can be such a challenge and it is something I require my second graders to do all the time. Thank you for sharing the freebie!!

    Aimee
    Primarily Speaking

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting how this concept can be challenging for any age. I love how you had them explain their reasoning!

    Fishing for Education Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that they are explaining their reasoning. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Why do the district tests always do that?? It is so frustrating!! Thanks for sharing and TGIF!!

    Christa Swaney
    sweetlifeofsecondgrade

    ReplyDelete